A 16-year-old female student who has been described by her principal as having "never been in trouble before. Ever." is now expelled and facing adult felony charges for a simple chemistry experiment that went slightly awry in the school laboratory.
When she mixed a small amount of household chemicals in a water bottle they reacted and caused the top to pop off and smoke to billow out. For this she is now expelled and charged with charged with possession/discharge of a weapon on school property and discharging a destructive device.
Because of the current zero-tolerance rules in place, no consideration can be given to the fact that she's an otherwise good student who's never been in trouble before, nor that the school administrators all unanimously agree that she acted innocently, without any malice or intent to disrupt the school. Again, according to the principal:
"She made a bad choice. Honestly, I don't think she meant to ever hurt anyone. She wanted to see what would happen [when the chemicals mixed] and was shocked by what it did... She told us everything and was very honest. She didn't run or try to hide the truth. We had a long conversation with her."